Friday 15 November 2013

     James Mercer Langston Hughes (February 1, 1902 - May 22, 1967) was an American poet, social activist, novelist, playwright, translator and columnist. He was one of the earliest innovators of the, then, new literary art form called Jazz Poetry. Hughes is best known as a leader of the Harlem Renaissance. He famously wrote about the period when  "the negro was in vogue" , which was  later paraphrased as "when Harlem was in vogue".

     When I watched Robert Kennedy's speech and saw how much he wished a reconciliation between the races and how he appealed to blacks in such a difficult moment of American history, I immediately thought about this black American poet. This is one of his poems and I'd like you to read it. In my opinion it is so pure and simple that manages to express beautifully how intolerance can hurt honest human beings...

I, TOO

I, too, sing America.
I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When the company comes.
But, I laugh.
An'eat well.
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll sit at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me:
"Eat in the kitchen"
Then,
Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed.

I, too, am America.

No comments:

Post a Comment